What are the differences between an IP phone and conventional phone?
IP phone uses Internet as transmission medium, while conventional phone works on public switched network. The rates of IP phone are much lower than those of conventional phone
Can I keep my current phone number?
Yes, of course. Techon offers to transfer your current phone number with 10$ fee. You should keep the number active with your current phone provider at the transfer date.
When the service finishes, should I pay for porting out the number?
If you paid for porting in your number to Techon while signing up, it will be free to port out your number. If the number was assigned by Techon, you’ll have to pay $10 for porting out your number.
How many days it will take to transfer my current phone number to Techon.ca?
It will take minimum 5 business days
Can I make overseas calls?
Yes, Techon.ca offers you a Global Plan with 1500 minutes to 35 destinations. We also have plans such as unlimited Canada calling+200 minutes to Korea/USA and unlimited Canada calling+300 minutes to USA/China /India.
If you only have a Canada wide plan, you can also make overseas calls, but the long distance charge will be applied. Please go to the following link to check the tariff. http://Techontel.com/en/personal/residential-calling-plan However, for some high rate regions, the overseas calls will not be available due to security reasons. Please contact the customer service for the further questions.
How can I set up my voicemail?
Please dial *97, press the call button, enter the password 1234, and follow the voice instructions.
Can I use my own jacks to connect my phone?
You will have to use the single jack we provide you to connect your phone and your Internet, since our phone service is based on the Internet. If you wish to have more than one phone device available, we recommend the acquisition of Multi handset Cordless phones, which can accommodate up to 5 telephone devices per single phone jack, depending on the model you choose.
Will the technician come to my place to set up the phone?
No, the provided equipment is already preconfigured. And with the instructions that you will receive with your equipment, you will be able to plug your equipment by yourself. If you find it difficult to do so, please contact the customer service at 1 416 357 8851.
What features I will have with Techon IP Phone?
You will have the Voice Mail, Caller ID and Call waiting. We offer you as well E911 and Voice Messages by Email service. If you have subscribed our Voice Message by Email service, your messages will be forwarded to your email as audio attachments. Simply open the attachment in a multimedia reader to hear the message. However, Techon IP phone doesn’t work with the home alarm system, and doesn’t support the Fax.
Call Waiting : Active *70 / Deactivate *71
DND(Do Not Disturb) : Active *78 / Deactivate *79
Voice Mail : *97
Can I use Techon phone ATA on abroad?
Due to security reasons, you can just use the phone ATA with Techon internet within Canada.
My home phone isn’t working. How can I fix it?
- Test your Internet connection to make sure it is working.
Without Internet access, the IP phone will not work. If you cannot establish an Internet connection, please proceed to the Internet support section for help in restoring Internet connectivity.
- Check your phone and phone adapter connections. Make sure all cables are properly connected.
The cable between the router and phone adaptor should be connected to one of 4 LAN ports on the back of the router, with the other end plugged into the Ethernet port on the phone adaptor. Make sure the corresponding port lights are on.
On the phone adaptor, 3 lights should be on: Power, Ethernet and Phone 1. Only Phone 1 should be used to connect with your phone set. If the power light is off or flashing, please check your power supply adapter. The correct power supply adapter should have an output of 5V 2A. If these specs do not correspond with those on your power adapter, you’re using the wrong adapter. If the Ethernet light is off, check your ethernet cable connections or replace the cable. If the phone 1 light is off, your phone isn’t registered on our network. Please contact us for further assistance.
- Check for a dial tone.
If the Power, Ethernet and Phone 1 lights on your phone adapter are on, pick up phone and listen for a dial tone. If you don’t hear one, make sure the phone is connected into the correct phone port. Otherwise, there might be an issue with your phone. If possible, test with another phone.
- Try to place a phone call.
If you hear a dial tone, try to place and receive calls. If recipients of your calls see a different number on their call display, this indicates a configuration issue. If you have a pending number transfer request, it means the request has not yet been completed.
If problems persist, please contact us for further assistance.
How can I fix poor audio quality during calls?
If your phone has audio quality issues (i.e. sound is not clear, line noise, static, etc.), try the following:
- Check if the poor sound quality occurs on your end, or on the end of the person you’re speaking to during your calls. Most of the poor quality issue happens on the other side, as it uses Internet upstream. In the case, please test Internet speed first, especially upstream speed. Slow Internet speeds can cause sound quality issues. An upgrade of Internet speed is recommended.
- If you are using a cordless phone, audio quality may be compromised due to a low battery, by wireless interference etc. Ensure your cordless phone is fully charged, try placing calls while next to your base station set or try to use a hardwired phone.
- Check if you are downloading P2P software or if your IPTV is playing video programs which may occupy a lot of bandwidth. Stop all downloads and streaming then test your phone to see if this resolves your issue.
- If the problem still persists, try to call some local numbers and some international numbers to compare the quality. If the issue persists during all calls, there may be an issue with the phone adapter itself. Contact us to replace your phone adapter. If local calls are good, but long distance calls quality is poor, or vice versa, please note the phone number, the time you dialed the number and provide us with these details so we can further investigate.
- If the line keeps cutting off and this happens frequently, please contact us for assistance. If calls drop only when communicating with specific phone numbers, please provide us with this information, along with the time you dialed those numbers so we can further investigate on your behalf.
My phone rings but I cannot hear anything when I answer. Why?
If you can hear the phone ringing, but don’t hear anything once you’ve answered the phone, this may indicate an issue with your router’s configuration.
If you’re using an Techon.ca issued-router, all settings have already been properly preconfigured. However, if you’re using an Techon.ca issued router and issues persist, contact us for further assistance.
If you are using a third-party router, you may need to adjust some settings to make it compatible with the phone adapter. While we do not support third-party routers, here are some tips for your reference.
- Change the SPI firewall status to “disable”. It doesn’t always cause the above mentioned issue, but if you encountered this kind of problem, start with this step.
- Some routers have SIP or SIP ALG option, choose to enable SIP, or SIP ALG (application layer gateway), it allows VoIP traffic to pass through firewall.
- If you are familiar with your router configuration, open 5060 port for phone adapter, or put this phone adapter in DMZ.
- If problems persist, try a different router. Some routers such as D-link don’t support VoIP phone well.
- If you are using cable Internet, you can bypass the router to do a test by connecting the phone adapter to the cable modem directly, and reboot the modem, then check again. If the problem can be resolved with the hard connection, it indicates am issue with your router. Otherwise, the issue is related to your phone adapter.
- If you checked both connection and settings, but the problem still persists, contact us for further assistance.